After spending a few hours out this evening and talking about what today's dating market looks like and speed dating, it got me thinking. How would someone perceive me in just 5 minutes by asking 5 questions? I have been with Mathias for over 7 years and, at times, we take our relationship for granted. We both sit on the couch with our laptops in, their most appropriate position, our laps. I browse my favorite sites while he browses his. We do this all while we are subconsciously comforted by each other's closeness. Tonight got me thinking. If we were going to meet each other for the first time all over again and only for 5 minutes, what would we ask each other. How has our perspective on dating changed, how would our potentially future boyfriend/girlfriend respond to these questions and what would we think? This of course seems childish to those who may already be in a relationship, but if you give it try, you may end up having a good laugh at each others responses or wondering why your significant other was thinking when asking that question in the first place. Heres how it worked:
- I split a piece of paper into 2. I kept one half for me and gave the other half to Mathias. I gave both of us pens.
- I made sure we were both sitting somewhere where we were not distracted by computers, games or how cute Aspen was.
- I then told him what we were doing. I asked that we both write down 5 questions we would ask if we were on our first date.
Ok, so you want to hear how our responses differed? Well my five questions were:
- What did you want to be when you were 5?
- What are 3 words your mom would use to describe you?
- What is your #1 goal in life?
- What are 3 words YOU would use to describe yourself?
- If you were a car, what would you be an why?
Maybe I am just super creative or maybe I think differently from most people. The reason I asked these questions were to creatively dig deep into Mathias' personality and see what similar qualities, interests or backgrounds we had. So what did Mathias ask? Better hit the snooze button for a few minutes, because I am warning you... BORING. Totally kidding.
- What do you want to drink?
- Where are you from?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Where did you go to school?
- What do you do for a living?
While we are both asked questions to see what similar qualities, interest or backgrounds we had, we did it in VERY different ways. I like to think that if I gave Mathias more than 30 seconds to think about it, he may have asked different questions. Or maybe not, since I know him well enough by now :)
I did this to further understand how we verbally communicate with each other (one more creatively than the other) , how we would both perceive each other's personalities JUST by asking questions and how we both would do if we were to go on a first date again. Lets just say, regardless of how boring his questions were phrased tonight, I would probably fall for him all over again.
I would love to hear what you would ask if you went on a first date again!
The above images are from our engagement session with our awesome wedding photographers, Casey Connell Photography. Just in case you were wondering, the left image is what we chose for our save the dates. It is still hanging on our fridge :)